Saturday, December 14, 2013

Spectacular photograph of Hiline bridge


Barb (Sheppard) Lang, our Editor-in-Chief of this blog, forwarded a photograph that Wes Anderson, curator of the Barnes County Historical Museum, posted on his Facebook page. If you're not a member of Facebook, you can't reach the page Wes has set-up that's filled with memories, photographs and comments about Valley City and Barnes County History. This shot of "sundogs" behind the bridge was too good not to share. Gail Pederson of Valley City is the photographer and we're posting it here with her permission. She took it with her iPhone. Thanks, Gail! (Click on photo for larger image).

Please share YOUR memories about the Hiline Bridge in the "comments" area below. Thanks!

3 comments:

Larry Gauper said...

As I look at that over one-hundred-year-old structure, the memories involving the bridge flood back. When I was growing up in Valley City, there was seldom a night I didn't drift off to sleep listening to the sound of a train going across the Hiline bridge. It was a soothing sound, background music for my imagination as I thought about the places the train was going and where the future would take me. And throughout my life--and today still--every time I hear a train I remember that bridge and some of the best times of my life.

Diane (Sauer) Hughes said...

The HiLine bridge, with the sounds of trains passing, are certainly part of my growing up years. Today, we hear a train every night as it passes through the city about a mile from our house. Still loving hearing it!

Barb Sheppard Lang said...

Gail Pederson's maiden name is Barton (the younger sister of Becky Barton, who was a class or two behind us). Gail and her husband have a studio south of VC, on the Kathryn Road. I will look up her e-mail on the subject and will add the information here, as it would be a fun place to visit the next time any of us are back in VC.