Thursday, April 16, 2020

Valley City Classic Car Cruisin'

Stan Orness, our VCHS Class of 1961 classic car fan "exceptionale," recently called our attention to an interview on KOVC featuring the nephew of our late classmate Gladys Van Bruggen, Myron Van Bruggen. Stan says "it brings back memories of cruising Main from the Dario to the A and W and then up Central Avenue to the Dairy Queen and then repeat."

I didn't do any cruising in my two-tone yellow and white 1955 Ford Fairlane hardtop because I usually worked on the air Friday nights at KOVC. I recall when a fellow DJ came over from Bob Ingstad's Jamestown station to fill-in for a while at what I considered "the flagship," KOVC in Valley City. Given the rivalry the Hiliners had with the Bluejays, he questioned how in the world anybody could "drag Main" in Valley City because, in his opinion, our principal streets were not "as long" as they were in his city, Jamestown. We had a spirited discussion about that. He also had a very cool car, as I remember. - Larry Gauper

To listen to that recent interview by Steve Urness on KOVC featuring Myron Van Bruggen, click here.

No comments: